"I am a reader not because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many"

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Review

13 Reasons Why 


My sister came back from her holidays with the perfect gift for a book nerd like my: the bestselling novel 13 reasons why by Jay Asher. I've to say that I was probably the only person on earth not aware that this popular book was going to be transformed into a Netflix hit.

"I hope you're ready, because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to these tapes, you're one of the reasons why."

Told from Clay point of view, the story revolves around Hannah - a girl who recently killed herself. After her death, Clay receives set of cassette tapes on which Hannah explains the 13 reasons why she decided to kill herself. And since he is listening to them he must be one of the reasons why.

This book is extremely compelling, it catches your attentions from the first few lines - almost impossible to put down. I needed to know what happen, when was Clay coming into Hanna's story? What has he done? And all the others characters, in which way have they affected Hanna's life?.
The plot makes you think and inquiries your teenage self, what if it was me? how would I've reacted? I answered some of those questions, I compared myself to her and came to the conclusion that even though we related to difficulties and life in different ways, I can understand her feeling. Hannah might come off as bratty, selfish and ofttimes over-sensitive. But you should remember that she is a teenager and we all were a little like that. Also, anyone who did experience depressions knows how hard is to see positives things and how easily you can be put off balance.
As Hannah says it's a snowball effect, it can start off as something small but builds upon itself becoming bigger and bigger. That is why we should pay attention to what we do and how we behave with other people because our action can be the push to speed up the snowball. This is what I think the book wanted to point out, our little selfish action can truly affect someone else.

Some other things I liked less, like the way in which famle sexuality was presented. Being Hanna's rumors true or false, hers and society view was old-fashioned and wrong. She didn't deserve to be slut-shamed even if the rumors were true, the book doesn't point out how women should empower their own sexuality, which is something that it still a taboo nowadays.
Apart from this, it's a page-turner and a beautiful reading. I'm also checking out Netflix series and let me just tell you that it looks amazing.

4/5 STARS

Netflix 13 REASONS WHY Trailer:




5 commenti:

  1. Nice review! Big question: Book or TV Show? :)

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. mmm I'm watching the tv show now and I've got to say that is really good, it gives you a rounded perspective on all the characters. they are both really good when I finish watching the series I'll do a review ;)

      Elimina
    2. I cannot wait to read your opinion.

      Elimina
  2. I read this book a few years ago. The book was rather dry and the Netflix series just seemed to glorify mental illness and suicide. I wasn't a fan of either format.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I think so too the book was flat, it didnìt give a rounded perspective on all characters, in particular Hannah's. but the series is developed, maybe in a bad way like you sad, still it express something.

      Elimina