"I am a reader not because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many"

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen




Every once in a while I feel this strong pull to read a classic, and when talking with my girls about classic English literature they all suggested Jane Austen. The "Queen", loved trough century by ladies of all ages, but to tell you the truth, without hopefully rousing a riot, I've never been her biggest fan.
Don't get me wrong she is good, the writing style is bearable compared to the Bronte sisters, and I will even go as far as to say that some of her female characters can be considered inspiring, but still we never really seem to hit it off me and Jane, until Northanger Abbey.

Maybe one of the most underrated books from Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey is a coming of age romance, following Catherine Morland, a young naive woman obsessed with Gothic novels, so much that she ends up thinking she lives in one.

The book is developed as a gothic parody, it has all the characteristics of a gothic novel with a comical turn of events. It's very English in humor and fun in a quaint way.
The writing style is clever and witty, and this stands out as usual in the beautifully played dialogue between the protagonists. One thing is undeniable Asten is the mistress of dialogue, she is always able to masterly craft them into interesting conversations, not as much as for the subject but for the way they are played out.

I enjoyed deeply the reading of this classic and I'll give it a 5 out of 5 stars!
Also if you are not so much of a read-it-first kind of person I'll recommend you the MOVIE, which as an amazing cast and brilliant acting! 

Sneak peak of the movie:







Nessun commento:

Posta un commento